Speak to us today: 1300 593 291

A Complete Guide On CTP Claims in NSW

Car accidents are unpredictable and scary. It rattles the best of us, no matter how small it is. So, we need to know the next steps to make sure that we’re going to be compensated for the injuries or damages we incur. 


Complete Guide On CTP Claims in NSW


If you’re unsure how to claim, here are all the things you need to know about CTP claims in NSW.


Who Can Claim CTP Compensation?

1. Family Members of the Deceased


In the event when someone is killed after a motor accident, the family members of the deceased can receive compensation. That’s why it’s crucial to find out who’s the driver at fault. You’re entitled to receive compensation if your deceased family member is not or partly at fault.

2. Other Driver At Fault


You can file a claim when you’ve sustained injuries, and you’re not at fault. If you’re partly at fault, you can still claim for personal injuries but not as much as when you’re innocent. You’re considered partially at fault of your injuries when you’re:


  • Not wearing a seatbelt
  • Driving Under Influence
  • Driving At An Unsafe Speed

3. Injured Minors


Regardless of who’s at fault, children under 16 years old who are injured can make a claim. They’ll receive special benefits to compensate for their medical bills and attendant care. 

4. Blameless Accidents


There are some instances when there’s no one to blame for the vehicular accident. Some examples of blameless accidents are:


  • An accident caused by a driver who’s having a heart attack or stroke
  • An accident caused by falling debris (ex. tree branch)
  • An accident caused by unknown mechanical failure


If no one is to blame, you can still make a claim. However, the driver who suffered a stroke or the owner of the failed vehicle may not be able to.


Consult green slip experts if you want to make a claim, or you want to know more about your CTP quote.


How To Make A Claim


Fill out the Personal Injury Claim form if your costs exceed $5,000. Your claim will be lodged against the other driver who’s at fault. To be eligible for a claim, make sure that you reported the accident within 28 days. 


Find out the CTP insurer of the other driver. Then, send the Personal Injury Claim form to the CTP insurer of the driver who caused the accident.


What You Can Claim


There are lots of factors that can affect your claim and the compensation you’ll get. You can claim for economic or non-economic loss or both.

  • Economic loss: You can file for economic loss if you lose your ability to make a living. It can also include reasonable medical expenses and attendant care after your accident.

  • Non-economic loss: You can also apply for the suffering and loss of enjoyment of life after your accident. 


Most people in motor accidents experience some degree of distress and trauma. But, non-economic losses have limits, and only those with severe injuries are compensated.


If you’re planning to make a claim, make sure that you understand how the claiming process works. Ask an expert to help you understand how to do it. Ensure that you have a copy of all your claim documents in case it gets lost in the post.


Discover the best green slip quote (NSW) that suits your needs. Click here.

business quote icon


business quote icon


Call Now Button