Speak to us today: 1300 593 291


Q. Why is it called a Greenslip?Q. What does CTP Insurance cover me for?Q. How often do CTP Price Changes?Q. Which insurers sell CTP Insurance?Q. How do I register my Vehicle?Q. What is Lifetime Care and Support?Q. How long can I buy CTP Greenslip for / Can I buy a CTP Greenslip for 6 months?Q. Why can’t I buy my CTP Greenslip Online?Q. Does my trailer need a CTP Greenslip?​Q. What is a conditionally registered vehicle and how does CTP apply to them?Q. How do I buy a CTP Greenslip?Q. Where can I buy a CTP Greenslip?Q. Current NSW CTP Scheme ChangesQ. At Fault Driver ProtectionQ. Your CTP Greenslip RenewalQ. Greenslips by StateQ. Why choose Greenslips 4 Earth New South Wales?Q. CTP Greenslip Price Comparison
Why is it called a Greenslip?

When the CTP Greenslip scheme was first introduced back in 1999 there were several colour coded, hard copy “slips” created which fulfilled different requirements under the Roads and Traffic Authority (now RMS). They were as follows:

  • ​Pink Slip – A slip which is issued by auto mechanics, which certifies the road worthiness of your vehicle (sedans, utes, four wheel drives, etc but not Heavy Vehicles)
  • Brown Slip – A slip which is issued by auto mechanics, which certifies the road worthiness of your heavy vehicle
  • Blue Slip – A slip which is required when your vehicle is first registered in New South Wales, either a new vehicle or an interstate transfer vehicle. This is also required for vehicles whose NSW vehicle registration has lapsed for a period greater than 90 days.
  • Green Slip – A slip which is issued by an insurer providing Compulsory Third Party insurance under the NSW CTP scheme

In today’s electronic age, the above slips serve precisely the same function as they did back in 1999 when introduced, however they are simply no longer colour coded, nor in hard copy.

What does CTP Insurance cover me for?

A CTP Greenslip insurance covers a Third Party for personal injury suffered as a result of a road accident involving a vehicle. Third Parties are described as other road users, pedestrians or passengers in your vehicle. Unless catastrophically injured, a CTP Greenslip policy does not cover you if you are at fault. Some changes are taking effect from 1 December 2017 to offer some benefits to at fault drivers.

Some insurers offer token cover for at fault drivers who sustain injury. More information is contained here on this subject.

CTP does not cover damage to your vehicle or damage to a third party’s vehicle. Motor Insurance provides the necessary property damage protection in the form of Comprehensive Motor Insurance or Third Party Property Damage Motor Insurance.

How often do CTP Price Changes?

Approved insurers who participate in the NSW CTP Scheme must seek approval from the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) every time they decide to change their CTP prices. This process is called “File and Write”. File your rates and then Write your premiums.

Insurers must file rates at least once a year. This is now done more frequently and is currently on average every four months. This means that insurers CTP prices will change every four months currently, on average.

One should, therefore, compare CTP Greenslip prices at each renewal to ensure their CTP renewal policy is still the most competitive in the market.

Aside from the At Fault Drivers add on covers offered by some insurers (read more about At Fault Driver Protect here) all CTP policies offer the same protection so price rather than cover is a significant factor in the decisions made by consumers as to which policy to purchase.

Which insurers sell CTP Insurance?

CTP Greenslip insurance is currently only sell by approved insurers as nominated by the State Regulatory Insurance Authority (SIRA).

There are currently 6 approved insurers participating in the CTP scheme in NSW. They are as follows:

  • AAMI – A Suncorp Company
  • Allianz
  • GIO – A Suncorp Company
  • NRMA
  • QBE
  • Youi

Zurich used to be an approved insurer under the scheme however they withdrew in March 2015 due to other business priorities.

Each approved insurer has varying additional covers in addition to the Statutory benefits under the scheme and these can be found here

How do I register my Vehicle?

You can renew and register your vehicle registration online by clicking here. This can only be done after you’ve purchased your CTP Greenslip and have had your vehicle inspected, if required. A vehicle inspection is required if it is noted on your registration papers, generally for vehicles older than 5 years.

New vehicle registrations must be done by attending an RMS office and tendering the following:

  • A purchase invoice if you are the new owner of the vehicle
  • A pink slip if the vehicle requires an inspection certificate (generally vehicles over 5 years old)
  • A CTP Greenslip noting the vehicles VIN number – these can be purchased here
  • Funds to cover the Stamp Duty for your vehicle purchase
  • ​ Unfortunately, new vehicle registrations cannot be done online. You must attend an RMS office in person with the necessary documentation.
What is Lifetime Care and Support?

The Lifetime Care and Support Scheme was introduced in 2005 for Children and 2006 for Adults, and offers benefits to the catastrophically injured following a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault. Before 2005, the scheme was generally an at fault scheme leaving injured persons from a motor vehicle accident without entitlement because the driver was deemed not at fault. This new scheme was introduced to protect those catastrophically injured where no fault could be attributed to the driver. Lifetime Care and Support provides valuable support for ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation and wages support for the life of the claimant where necessary.

How long can I buy CTP Greenslip for / Can I buy a CTP Greenslip for 6 months?

You can buy CTP Greenslip for 12 months long. There are options to purchase a Greenslip for less than 12 months, namely 6 and 3 months. Some insurers do not offer 3-month policies and others only offer 3-month CTP policies for business owned vehicles. All CTP Greenslips for sedans, utes, four-wheel drives, and Goods Carrying Vehicles under 4,500 GVM (for both individuals and business) can be purchased for 12 or 6 months.

If your vehicle registration has lapsed for more than 21 days you can only purchase a new CTP policy for a period of 12 months.

Why can’t I buy my CTP Greenslip Online?

CTP Greenslips are available online for sedans, utes, four wheel drives and goods carrying vehicles below 4,500 GVM only. Other classes of vehicles or Goods Carrying vehicles over 4,500 GVM can be purchased by contacting us on 1300 593 291. We have access to most insurers rates for larger vehicles.

Does my trailer need a CTP Greenslip?​

Trailers do not need a CTP Greenslip. No trailer needs a Greenslip. The vehicle pulling the trailer has a CTP Greenslip and therefore the cover for the pulling vehicle extends to any injury caused by the trailer itself.

What is a conditionally registered vehicle and how does CTP apply to them?

A conditionally registered vehicle is a vehicle that does not generally use public roads or road related areas but on occasion does need to cross a public road and therefore can interact with the general public. Some examples include Tractors, All Terrain Vehicles, Fork Lift, Golf Buggies etc. The RMS governs when qualifying vehicles require conditional registration. This can be found here.

If your vehicle qualifies for conditional registration and uses a public road or road related area (i.e. car park) then your conditional registration automatically comes with CTP. You do not have to purchase a separate CTP policy for a  vehicle. Simply by registering your conditionally registered vehicle, you are covered for CTP.

How do I buy a CTP Greenslip?

All approved CTP insurers offer CTP policies either online, through their branch network or via their call centre. To compare all available CTP prices, you would have to contact all of them individually. Alternatively you may get all insurer quotations by getting a quote here and using our very own own CTP Greenslip calculator to provide you with every insurer price for your vehicle. All insurers prices, available in one location, at your finger tips. You can also purchase your greenslip as per the instructions on our quotation page.

Where can I buy a CTP Greenslip?

Each approved CTP insurer in New South Wales (NSW) offers their CTP policies to the general public using various means to buy a CTP Greenslip. These means include internet, call centre or branch office visitation.

For all Sedans, Utes, 4 wheel Drives, and Goods Carrying Vehicles under 4,500 GVM you may secure your CTP prices across all insurers by using our convenient calculator and clicking here. This will provide you with all CTP insurers current CTP rates for your vehicle as at your renewal date. You can then decide to purchase your CTP by clicking the prompts noted on the quotation page and finalise your purchase in one step. Click here to learn more.

Current NSW CTP Scheme Changes

Since early 2016 the NSW CTP Greenslip scheme changes has been in consultation with interested parties about the effectiveness of the current NSW CTP Scheme. The Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation, Victor Dominello has requested a full review of the CTP scheme and has sought feedback from all interested parties. Some concerns of the current scheme include. Click here to know more.

At Fault Driver Protection

At Fault Driver Protection, also known as At Fault Driver Cover, depending on the insurer, is an additional level of cover offered by two insurers. This cover offers some additional benefits to injured drivers at fault.

Previously many at fault drivers were not covered under the CTP Scheme because it was a Third Party scheme only. This position gave rise to insurers offering additional At Fault Driver Cover. Over the years however, the RMS has introduced entitlements for the benefit of First Parties, or the driver considered at fault. There currently exists certain entitlements for Drivers at Fault under the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme for those drivers catastrophically injured. Click here to learn more.

Your CTP Greenslip Renewal

Your CTP Greenslip renewal is mailed to you by your current CTP insurer approximately 4 weeks prior to renewal. You may have purchased your CTP Greenslip through an agent, however legislation requires that the insurer be the one to mail you your CTP Greenslip renewal.

At approximately the same time, you will also receive your vehicle Registration renewal. Both the CTP Greenslip renewal and the Registration renewal will be mailed to the same address because the insurer uses the RMS database for all mailed correspondence relating to your vehicle. You therefore do not need to inform your CTP insurer of any changes to your risk details as they’ll receive these directly from the RMS. Click here to know more.

Greenslips by State

CTP Greenslips exist in every state and territory in Australia. In other states the word Greenslip does not exist or is not commonly used. They refer to it as CTP Insurance only.

Some state governments underwrite the CTP policy, meaning they accept the risk. In others this is outsourced to insurers, just like NSW. Where it is outsourced to insurers, this means insurers take the risk and pay the claims.

In all other states except for NSW, the CTP Insurance policy is linked with your Registration documentation. This means that you do not purchase a separate CTP insurance policy but it is rather included in the fees paid for your vehicle registration. In those states, once your vehicle is registered, you are considered insured for CTP insurance. Click here to learn more.

Why choose Greenslips 4 Earth New South Wales?

Not only do Greenslips 4 Earth offer you the comparable CTP Greenslip price available for your vehicle in New South Wales by comparing all insurer prices in the market, but your purchase will also benefit the environment and absorb the carbon emitted by your vehicle. We assure that you will get only the best CTP deals, all at competitive prices. We offer a comprehensive guide of all insurer prices so you have the convenience to shop for the best greenslip deal that is right for you. All this while contributing to a better environment. Click here to know more.

CTP Greenslip Price Comparison

At Greenslips 4 Earth we know how important it is to get an annual price comparison for your CTP Greenslip.

Why is this important? Let us tell you why! Click here to learn more.

business quote icon


business quote icon


Start a quote today

Start a quote today

Just a friendly reminder before you start….


Before you enter into an insurance contract, you have a duty to tell the insurer anything that you know, or could reasonably be expected to know, that may affect the insurer's decision to insure you and on what terms. You have this duty until the insurer agrees to insure you. You have the same duty before you renew, extend, vary, or reinstate an insurance contract.

For Personal, Domestic and Household insurance contracts, you have an additional duty to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to the insurer. To ensure you meet your duty, your responses to the insurer's questions must be truthful, accurate and complete.


If you do not tell the insurer anything you are required to, they may cancel your contract, or reduce the amount they will pay you if you make a claim, or both. If your failure to tell the insurer is fraudulent, they may refuse to pay a claim and treat the contract as if it never existed.

By clicking on the "I Agree" button below, you agree that you've read and understood the Duty of Disclosure and website Terms of Use.

Please read our Financial Services Guide to help you make an informed decision about whether to use the financial services we offer.

Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for full details before deciding about the right cover for you.

Please be aware that all communication will be via phone, email or text. We do not mail any correspondence.

Call Now Button