Speak to us today: 1300 593 291

Learner Drivers On CTP: What You Need To Know

Learner Drivers On CTP: What You Need To Know

Learner drivers or L-platers are new drivers holding a Learner License, with a minimum age of 16. Their learner plates must be displayed on the vehicle’s exterior surface in a position that is visible to the general public. 

Learner drivers face several restrictions due to the inherent risk involved in having a young / novice person behind the wheel. Statistics show that there are only 13% of young licensed drivers in Australia however they account for more than a quarter of lethal motor vehicle accidents. Compulsory Third Party insurers, also known as CTP or greenslip insurers, may take this into account so it is important to inform them of this exposure. 

Before conducting CTP comparisons, it is integral that you provide contact details and register your vehicle with a list of drivers who will be behind the wheel, no matter the yearly frequency of usage or their age. This allows insurers to correctly assess the premiums equivalent to the risk and in turn provide a suitable green slip price.


Getting A Green Slip With A Learner Driver On Board


It’s important that you tell your green slip insurers if you have a young driver or an L-plater driving the vehicle. Not disclosing these details may result in unexpected financial expense and therefore you should ensure that you provide accurate information to your insurer.

According to the Motor Accidents Injuries Act 2017 No 10 (section 2.12) you don’t need to worry about the validity of the greenslip in the event of a claim. But if there is a false statement in the premium and the person fails to pay the correct premium, the insurer has the right to claim the discrepancy between the paid price and the amount that should have been paid. In the worst-case scenario, insurers can also claim up to $2000 from the person under the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 No 41 (section 17).

Despite the L-plater’s demeanour or the presence of a licensed driver or instructor supervising the learner driver, you cannot always guarantee safety on the road. 

If the learner driver is the registered owner of the vehicle, he/she must be listed as the insured. Since they are young learning drivers with minimal driving experience, it’s much more probable for them to be at fault and hence their insurance in NSW is expected to have higher CTP premiums.

Advising your CTP insurers of the Learner/ Young Driver details will not only make them aware of the risk but it can also provide you with the peace of mind that you have been quoted the correct CTP premium. You should also know that a greenslip does not cover you if injured, or your vehicle, if damaged, in the event of a motor vehicle accident – CTP is definitely not life insurance.


Will My Premiums Increase When I Declare My Learner Drivers?


Declaring learner drivers is important to ensure your CTP insurer can assess the risk, although this does not necessarily mean that your premiums will increase. When an L-plater becomes a provisional driver, you need to inform this change to your CTP provider. Having a P-plater on board can increase your premium by up to $200. Ask your CTP insurer to clarify the cost of your premiums once this change is declared.


Compare CTP NSW – Greenslips 4 Earth


The quest to find the most affordable greenslip in New South Wales is never easy and having a reliable party to help you conduct a CTP Green slip comparison helps makes this process easier. Greenslips 4 Earth does just that whilst aiming to improve the state of our environment through fulfilling our mission to plant one tree for every greenslip sold. Try our green slip calculator and join us in our pursuit to sustain our rapidly degrading environment as we give you a comprehensive take on CTP prices around the market.

business quote icon


business quote icon


Call Now Button