Speak to us today: 1300 593 291

The Best Advice For Preparing A Vehicle Safety Check In NSW

A vehicle safety check is one way to keep yourself and others safe on the road. Transport  NSW (TfNSW) requires vehicle safety checks for registration renewal and unregistered vehicles. This applies to all classes of vehicles. 


Vehicle Safety Check


NSW Vehicle Safety Check For Registration Renewal


Only an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) can perform a vehicle safety check. You may find local stations near you here. If you prefer to stay at home, you can schedule a mobile safety check provider to come to you.


The TfNSW will provide you with a renewal notice which tells you when you need to do a safety check. 


Vehicle Safety Check for Light Vehicles


Light vehicles need a yearly inspection but only is if the vehicle is 5 years of age or older.


Light Vehicles are classified as:


  • 4.5 tonnes or less without power-operated brakes
  • Passenger cars
  • Motorcycles
  • Vehicles used for point to point transport


If You Pass the Inspection


If you pass your inspection, the NSW vehicle safety check report remains valid for 6 months except for public passenger vehicle reports. 


If You Fail the Inspection


Should you fail your inspection you need to make repairs within 14 days at the same AIS station or with the same mobile safety check provider. If repairs take over 14 days, you have to pay another inspection fee. 


Safety Check for Unregistered Vehicles


Preparing A Vehicle Safety Check


Vehicle inspectors accredited by the TfNSW under AIS are the only ones who can do safety checks for unregistered vehicles. 


They usually require vehicle safety checks when:


  • Your vehicle is unregistered for more than 3 months
  • Your vehicle was brought to NSW from another state or country
  • You have no number plates
  • Your vehicle is a write-off and is approved for re-registration
  • Your vehicle registration records have changed
  • You need to clear defect notices


Unregistered vehicle safety check reports are valid within 42 days. If your vehicle is imported, please ask the Australian Government’s Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications to issue a vehicle import approval for your vehicle. 


If you have modified your vehicle, you need a licensed certifier under Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) to inspect your vehicle.


Safety Checks for Heavy Vehicles


The Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Station (HVAIS) or the TfNSW carry out vehicle safety checks for heavy vehicles. Your renewal notice will tell you what kind of vehicle inspection is needed. 


However, the Authorised Crane Inspection Station is in charge of truck-based and purpose-built crane carrying vehicles weighing 12 tonnes and with an axel.


Other Requirements Needed for Registration Renewal


Once you submit your NSW vehicle safety check report, you may complete the renewal online. 


Please ensure you meet the criteria below.


  • Your vehicle is registered within the 3 months of the expiry 
  • You have received your new plates within the required period
  • Your conditionally registered vehicle has undergone inspection and suggested repairs


If you do not meet these criteria, please visit the nearest TfNSW service centre.


You would also need Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP) to complete the renewal process.


Free Registration for Pensioner Concession Cardholders


Pensioners are entitled to free registration for one vehicle under their name. However, this does not apply to conditionally register vehicles. 


For more information on how to register your vehicle, please refer to our FAQ page. You may also refer to our blog for best practices.

business quote icon


business quote icon


Start a quote today

Start a quote today

Just a friendly reminder before you start….


Before you enter into an insurance contract, you have a duty to tell the insurer anything that you know, or could reasonably be expected to know, that may affect the insurer's decision to insure you and on what terms. You have this duty until the insurer agrees to insure you. You have the same duty before you renew, extend, vary, or reinstate an insurance contract.

For Personal, Domestic and Household insurance contracts, you have an additional duty to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to the insurer. To ensure you meet your duty, your responses to the insurer's questions must be truthful, accurate and complete.


If you do not tell the insurer anything you are required to, they may cancel your contract, or reduce the amount they will pay you if you make a claim, or both. If your failure to tell the insurer is fraudulent, they may refuse to pay a claim and treat the contract as if it never existed.

By clicking on the "I Agree" button below, you agree that you've read and understood the Duty of Disclosure and website Terms of Use.

Please read our Financial Services Guide to help you make an informed decision about whether to use the financial services we offer.

Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for full details before deciding about the right cover for you.

Please be aware that all communication will be via phone, email or text. We do not mail any correspondence.

Call Now Button