Speak to us today: 1300 593 291

CTP Greenslip Refund for Second Hand Car Owners

CTP Green Slip Refunds When You Sell Your Car


Buying or selling your vehicle? You may be wondering whether you can claim a green slip CTP refund. Find out whether you’re eligible to make a CTP green slip refund claim and what happens to your CTP and registration when you buy or sell.


CTP Greenslip Refund for Second Hand Car Owners


Selling Your Vehicle 


Will I Get A CTP Refund?


Unfortunately, you will not be able to get a green slip refund if you sell your vehicle. When you sell your car, the remainder of your CTP is simply transferred to the new owner. As the CTP is still active, just no longer in your name, there is, unfortunately, nothing to be refunded. When selling your car, ensure to factor the cost of your remaining CTP insurance into your asking price. 


Can I Cancel My CTP Before I Sell?


You can cancel your CTP before selling your vehicle but it isn’t necessary. To cancel your greenslip you must first cancel your registration, as all registered vehicles on NSW roads need a greenslip. As many second-hand car buyers prefer to purchase a registered vehicle, this can hinder your ability to sell the vehicle at a good price. Canceling your registration means you need to return your plate to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).

When you sell your vehicle, your greenslip will transfer to the new owner. Include the price of your remaining registration and greenslip into the price of your vehicle for a hassle-free sale. If you do choose to cancel your registration and CTP before you sell, you can claim a green slip refund when you return your plates. 


Buying A Second-Hand Vehicle


All vehicles require CTP insurance to be legally used on NSW roads. This means that every registered vehicle is also required by law to have CTP insurance or a greenslip. When you buy a second-hand vehicle, whether it has CTP insurance or not will depend on whether it is registered.


CTP Green Slip Refunds when you Sell your Car


Transferring CTP Insurance


When you buy a registered second-hand vehicle, the CTP insurance will automatically transfer to you. There is no paperwork required for the CTP. Once the transfer of ownership takes place, the RMS will inform your new CTP provider of the change. 


How To Get A NSW CTP Green Slip Refund


If you have purchased a second-hand vehicle and aren’t happy with the CTP that has been transferred to you, you may want to get a CTP refund and repurchase a greenslip from a different provider. This could be due to add-ons such as At Fault Cover or to purchasing CTP with your preferred provider.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the CTP provider in the middle of a registration period. You will need to cancel and then re-establish your CTP with a new provider. This involves canceling and reinstating your registration, which will often cost more than waiting for your CTP renewal and changing policies then.


Compare CTP Rates & Learn More About CTP Refunds


Discover the best CTP rates for your vehicle and everything you need to know about CTP refunds. Contact our team for expert advice and same-day green slip quotes. You can also use our Greenslip Calculator to access the cheapest CTP rates from leading NSW providers.

business quote icon


business quote icon


Start a quote today

Start a quote today

Just a friendly reminder before you start….


Before you enter into an insurance contract, you have a duty to tell the insurer anything that you know, or could reasonably be expected to know, that may affect the insurer's decision to insure you and on what terms. You have this duty until the insurer agrees to insure you. You have the same duty before you renew, extend, vary, or reinstate an insurance contract.

For Personal, Domestic and Household insurance contracts, you have an additional duty to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to the insurer. To ensure you meet your duty, your responses to the insurer's questions must be truthful, accurate and complete.


If you do not tell the insurer anything you are required to, they may cancel your contract, or reduce the amount they will pay you if you make a claim, or both. If your failure to tell the insurer is fraudulent, they may refuse to pay a claim and treat the contract as if it never existed.

By clicking on the "I Agree" button below, you agree that you've read and understood the Duty of Disclosure and website Terms of Use.

Please read our Financial Services Guide to help you make an informed decision about whether to use the financial services we offer.

Please read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for full details before deciding about the right cover for you.

Please be aware that all communication will be via phone, email or text. We do not mail any correspondence.

Call Now Button